With adoption of "Plan Osky" in 2022, Oskaloosa's new comprehensive plan, the next step for the city is to update its zoning code and map. These documents were prepared in 2000 with the prior comprehensive plan and are 23 years old. Drafts of the proposed zoning code and map are available for public review at the links below.
The zoning code (also known as the zoning ordinance) is the primary mechanism for implementing goals and recommendations of the comprehensive plan. The zoning code assigns compatible land uses to defined districts throughout the community. In addition to regulating uses, zoning sets standards for the placement, height, bulk, and coverage of buildings, and other site improvements such as landscaping and parking. The zoning code is comprised of a map and text.
- Modernize the ordinance
- Make consistent with other plans
- Address gaps
- Provide flexibility
- Meet legal requirements
- Streamline approval processes
- Consider implementing within 2-mile extraterritorial jurisdiction
Over the years, Oskaloosa has experienced changes in land use outside its boundaries from agriculture to residential or commercial. To help guide land use decisions near its boundaries, the proposed map extends zoning into the city's "extraterritorial jurisdiction", 2 miles beyond Oskaloosa's corporate limits. In general, properties will be zoned consistent with existing land use and the recommendations in the comprehensive plan. For example, properties currently used for agriculture and recommended for agriculture land use, will be zoned AG - Agricultural District.
Schedule and Questions
The tentative approval schedule follows.
- July 5 – Planning & Zoning Commission public hearing & recommendation
- (if recommended to proceed) July 17 – City Council resolution scheduling public hearing for August 7
- August 7 – City Council public hearing & first reading ordinance
- August 21 – City Council second reading ordinance
- September 5 – City Council third reading ordinance and final decision
Questions may be directed to Development Services Director Shawn Christ at 641-676-5029 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Draft zoning map (PDF)
- Draft zoning map (interactive)
- Draft zoning code (PDF)
- Plan Osky Comprehensive Plan
- Plan Osky Future Land Use Map