- City Government
- Boards & Commissions
- Historic Preservation Commission
Historic Preservation Commission
The Historic Preservation Commission is responsible for conducting studies for the identification, evaluation, registration, and designation of historic landmarks and historic districts. They proceed at their own initiative or upon petition from any person, agency, or organization; and make recommendations to the State Historic Preservation Officer for the listing of a property on the National Register of Historic Places. They also review applications for a certificate of appropriateness to alter designated historic landmarks or to alter buildings, structures, objects, and/or sites within a designated historic district. The duties of the Historic Preservation Commission are included in Chapter 2.84 of the Municipal Code. As a Certified Local Government (CLG), the Commission must meet at least three (3) times per year.
- Application for Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF)
- Completion of this form in its entirety is necessary for project approval
- HPC Quick Guide for Property Owners (PDF)
- Includes, among other things, quick information on policies regarding: Signs, Windows, Lighting, Doors, Color Schemes, and Frequently Asked Questions
- Historic District (PDF) Boundaries Map
- Full Design Guidelines for the City Square Commercial Historic District (PDF)
- HPC Orientation Document (PDF)
- HPC Special Meeting Policy (PDF)
|Cheryl Benson||December 31, 2025|
|Janel Campbell||December 31, 2023|
|Dan Carmichael||December 31, 2025|
|Cheryl Lockwood||December 31, 2024|
|Eric Stout, Alternate||December 31, 2024|
|Mark Tennison, Chair||December 31, 2023|
|Carri Vande Ree||December 31, 2024|
|Timothy Foster||December 31, 2025|
|Vacant, Alternate||December 31, 2023|
- 12:00 noon; third Friday of the month. Dates and times may vary.
- Oskaloosa City Hall, 220 South Market Street, Oskaloosa, IA 52577
Visit the "Agenda and Minutes" page of this website then scroll to the "Historic Preservation Commission" section to gain access.
Development Services Director
Email Shawn Christ
Interested in being a member of the Historic Preservation Commission? Fill out an interest form.